Advanced Search

Author Topic: Distrowatch Weekly, Issue 502  (Read 912 times)

April 08, 2013, 02:06:20 PM
Read 912 times

richdb

• Administrator

• Open Source Frog
Distrowatch Weekly, Issue 502
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130408

We have removed Pisi Linux from DistroWatch. This is a distribution that intends to succeed the "old" Pardus Linux (when it was an independent distribution with its own package management called "Pisi", rather than the current Debian-based variant). Unfortunately, we have found the project still rather immature at this stage - it has changed name three times already and the communication with the distribution developers have been rather unpleasant, with many conflicting requests and confusing emails. Also, the project's SourceForge page continues to claim that "as of 2013-03-14, this project is no longer under active development," which has been denied by the project's official website. All in all, adding Pisi Linux to DistroWatch so early was perhaps a little premature so we would like to give it a bit more time to mature and settle down. We'll revisit the decision in the future once things start to improve - until that happens we are sorry to say that you won't see any announcements on DistroWatch. If you are interested in this project please visit their official English-langugage website for news and information.

Some reactions:
2 • Pisi (by Ariszló on 2013-04-08 09:31:38 GMT from Hungary)
Quoting from the Pisi blog:

Some people also notice that Pisi Linux has gone from Distrowatch. The reason is that some people, with toddler behavior who are trying to destroy the project, love to contact Distrowatch under the name of the Pisi Linux project. This has also caused confusion at Distrowatch, and therefore Distrowatch has decided to pass back Linux Pisi into place when it is 'grow up'. But do not worry, all kittens have to grow up :) All we ask is a little patience ...

5 • RE: 2 Pisi (by ladislav on 2013-04-08 10:40:08 GMT from Taiwan)
That just adds another sinister dimension to the whole project. In 12+ years of DW I don't recall any "toddler behaviour" that would try to sabotage a project in this way. Another reason to give Pisi more time to mature and sort out the issues.

My reaction:
I think the history of Pardus Linux can evoke, what I call, toddler behaviour. Pardus Linux is more then a Linux distribution in Turkey. It is also a kind of political thing, and most political things are never fair. And maybe this is the reason that some people did tried to sabotate the project.
But I agree with Distrowatch that Pisi Linux need more time to mature and settle down.

April 08, 2013, 07:03:33 PM
Reply #1

pantera

• Meow World

Re: Distrowatch Weekly, Issue 502
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
ladislav lying

Lie 1. Pisi Linux have not project page on  SourceForge.  He says nothing about our github page.
We sent him an email about it,  very clear http://forum.pisilinuxworld.org/index.php?topic=82.msg299#msg299

Later when we saw the "fake" Pisilinux sourceforge projekt page on distrowatch, we have sent a mail to sourgeforge. and now its ours

Lie2 :Pisi Linux developer on behalf , sent only once a mail   and was a justifiable reaction. Apart from this founded no contact.

Lie3 : he says  "rather unpleasant"  http://forum.pisilinuxworld.org/index.php?topic=82.msg299#msg299 that is the mail. and was written with company format

lie4: he say : All in all, adding Pisi Linux to DistroWatch so early was perhaps a little premature so we would like to give it a bit more time to mature and settle down.

The page about Pisi Linux on DW was without opening our knowledge or consent.   It was opened by pardus-debian types. and we know that one of those is ladislav friend.   This guy has the Name Eren Kovancı . moderator on LinuxMint.tr,  parduslinux.org . with the nicks "ekovanci" and  "unixroot" 
Pisi linux its on provocation by this person!! Let us note about this person.  Myself , i now exactly what i do to this guy.

Ladislav is a liar, and I myself have no more respect to distrowatch.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:02:59 AM by pantera »

April 09, 2013, 08:56:19 AM
Reply #2

richdb

• Administrator

• Open Source Frog
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
First of all I not think Ladislav is a liar. He did know nothing anything about Pisi Linux before some people contact him about it.
That those people that contact him are not part of the Pisi Linux team, he couldn't know that. So calling him a liar is not fair cause
he only do his job on Distrowatch.

But I think the main problem here is communication. If we (I am also part of the Pisi Linux Team) setup a structure before we did
start developing then everything was clear. Then we have a lead communications, that is the speachman of the team, etc.

We need structure so things like this will not happen again. And that is what Ladislav is saying with the words: 'give it a bit more time
and settle down'

A structure example:
http://www.fuduntu.org/blog/2012/08/25/fuduntu-reorganization/

I think the Pisi Linux team should think about how to fill in this picture :) And the most important now is lead communications, a person who
speak/read/write Turkish and English very well.

April 09, 2013, 12:29:56 PM
Reply #3

Jasperodus

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
Tricky one, this :-\

I do have my own feelings about all of this generally, but I don't know all the facts. This will be the same for most of us here (and elsewhere) who are following these events. Therefore, could I ask the members here to resist the urge to comment, even though they might have their own opinions/feelings, and let this one cool off for the moment to avoid the risk of increased speculation?

There have been valid and important, even serious, issues raised here and I would say the best and proper thing to do now is for these issues to be tackled as a matter of Team business, rather than for it to be expanded here. Pantera, I do understand your need to state your position in response to the original post and people do need to know your perspective and try to understand what might be going on behind the scenes. However, I hope you would agree that as of now this needs to be resolved as a matter of 'official' business within a team setting, rather than maybe escalating/degenerating into a forum 'free-for-all', and perhaps spilling over into a free-for-all over at DW as well.

I am sure the team could post their subsequent conclusions/findings here.

-------------------

P.s. Team: if you schedule a meeting (and regarding meetings generally), could I suggest that this be in the form of a G+ rather than IRC medium? An IRC environment is ok and has it s place but I think it has certain limitations: it can be awkward to arrange for everybody to attend at the same time, the demands of a real-time discussion (limited time to think/respond and potential real-time heightened emotions) and also maybe not the best format in terms of continuity of topics.

Could not a G+ team group be established as a virtual 'office' for routine business and communication? If viable, that could be a much more efficient and convenient medium, as it is not dependent on all members being together all at once (or haphazardly), people would have time to properly consider their responses, you would have effective continuity and each member of the team would be able to get an overview on exactly what every other team member (and later, groups, as the team expands) is doing and what their status is, what there requirements might be etc, etc.

Anyway, I hope it's something possibly worthy of your consideration.

Thanks.

April 09, 2013, 02:25:40 PM
Reply #4

mozen

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
I just can't understand DW's logic on this matter.
The day PiSi Linux was announced a website (www.pisilinux.org) and a github page (https://github.com/pisilinux?tab=members) were also made public.
Even if pisilinux.org does not have an english version, you still can find their contact page!
The github page lists all the members. So, that person from DW, who looks in to these matters, could have easily seen that his so called Pisi-contact is not a member of the Anka-team.
I agree with pantera. It is DW that made a mess here.

Communication is important, but this is not an excuse for what DW has done. DW should have double checked before making this decision of theirs.

I can understand the non-turkish speaking members not able to follow everything going on in this community, but I can concure with pantera when he says
"The page about Pisi Linux on DW was without opening our knowledge or consent.   It was opened by pardus-debian types. and we know that one of those is ladislav friend.   This guy has the Name Eren Kovancı . moderator on LinuxMint.tr,  parduslinux.org . with the nicks "ekovanci" and  "unixroot"  Pisi linux its on provocation by this person!! Let us note about this person. "

April 09, 2013, 04:35:16 PM
Reply #5

pantera

• Meow World

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

I think the Pisi Linux team should think about how to fill in this picture :) And the most important now is lead communications, a person who
@mozen pls checkout ur email :)

April 09, 2013, 04:44:40 PM
Reply #6

Jasperodus

• Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »

@mozen pls checkout ur email :)

This sounds good  8)

April 09, 2013, 05:39:08 PM
Reply #7

mozen

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
lol, group pressure  :P ;D

April 09, 2013, 05:57:25 PM
Reply #8

anglophony

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »

Does this phrase sound familar " We have you on the hook now " ?
surprise me

April 09, 2013, 05:58:33 PM
Reply #9

mozen

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »

Does this phrase sound familar " We have you on the hook now " ?

:-X

April 09, 2013, 10:48:12 PM
Reply #10

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
Now if you try to retrieve the info, you will get an error message about not being in the database and to check the spelling!

EDIT: merged this 'orphan' post here. Jasperodus.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:09:28 PM by Jasperodus »

April 12, 2013, 05:15:01 PM
Reply #11

mozen

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
Now if you try to retrieve the info, you will get an error message about not being in the database and to check the spelling!

Very unfortunate. See also: http://forum.pisilinuxworld.org/index.php?topic=122.msg402#msg402